Tuesday, June 16, 2009

That's Bad- that's REALLY Bad

So here I am working away on building out a seminar series for sebb.com and I had a notable business experience. During this experience (still happening now as it turns out), I was promted to send the following "feedback"

"I just filled out the form to start a trial and it threw an error message and lost my entry when I clicked back. that's not good consideringI'm considering hiring you to handle form submissions."

So this is a problem all to often unheard these days. I kinda feel a little nutty for not completely abandoning this company's site forever. Had my experience been completely as a result of a search for "registration forms" or "seminar forms" or something like that, I assure you- I would have. That's where reputation and good branding come in. I'm actually willing to consider a few other things.

1. Well Craig told me about this and he's already spoken with someone so it must just be a glitch.
2. My laptop has only been out of the box a few days. Maybe I have my security settings too high?
3. I'm very technically saavy. Many of my target audience may not be.
4. I hate filling out forms twice.
5. I really liked the instant feedback from the login and password section- I've seen much worse.
6. It's supposed to be turn key.
7. I'm using IE8 on a really nice, new XP machine (Yes we downgraded to XP) Nothing obscure- really people?

Ok so now in the time I took to write this, All I've gotten back so far is a very generic e-mail referencing an eight digit case number with the words "that's bad" apparantly as a title for the case. Turns out, that was the subject of my e-mail.

So- the only thing keeping this bad experience from being a reputation management issue is that I didn't use a company name. Most people are not so kind these days.

In today's inbound marketing university (#imu) Chris Brogan talked about being genuine and human in your communication. I really shouldn't be an eight digit number to a B2B company especially when I'm a "lead."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This Post