Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Building VALUE

I'm sure that Chris Brogan and I have met before. In fact, I may have had him in my rolodex at one point or another. According to his admission today, he may actually remember me better than I remember him. Didn't catch the "tool" he mentioned but to me it doesn't really matter that much. The point is that it can be measured and that's cool. I retweeted someone today on Twitter. A few days? weeks? months? ago I figured out what that meant. Another woman's idea...Oops gotta find her name... Oh- right @Karyd who also got a glamour facebook user name on Saturday. I also noticed that she made a comment about working on the weekend. Yet one more kindred spirit. She seems to be a bit farther ahead than me. That seems to be a pretty big status thing now. There are even services that help you get more followers. Hmm... I guess it's Media now! Well that can only mean one thing of course. COMMERCE. Ok so here we go. Twitter doesn't have a business model- but I do! I can help you find more followers on Twitter. Keep in mind though that the quality quotiant is absolutely going to be the key. If I could predict the future, I'm going to have to guess that the quality of tweets will become some sort of metric. Not sure who will write it, but I'd bet Stephen Turner, phd could figure out the algorythm in about ten minutes. Google is already quality scoring paid search landing pages. Twitter will be next. Again- Someone's going to have to measure it. Stephen rightly scolded me (privately) for just now figuring out the syntax. Ok guys- so like lots of us, we all know less about some things than others. It is now absolutely critical that you have a team of people who are always out in front or at least a few pioneers running around pushing stuff around.

Social Media Marketing is the bleeding edge of inbound marketing. The trick is to stop the bleeding now. Don't wait another day. Do you realize how much blood you can lose in one day? Well. Actually we don't. How bad is it? How much do we stand to gain. We're just now getting to the part where we have a number like this one I found today in hubspot. You are saving approximately $75,000 per month from your organic search traffic. (real number obfuscated intentionally) THAT'S the number I want to know! Ok so then tell me how much money I MADE for organic search. Well that's a bit more complex but in many cases, it's the flow meter that help determine whether to turn the faucet up or down.

So great- we gotta figure out the value of all this stuff. For a guy like Chris Brogan and also for a guy like me, we're setting value on personal interaction. That may start to seem virtually obscene, but it's a far better value than paying for eyeballs again.




Media Evolution

So now here we are on the verge of stardom. We're all building our virtual repuations based upon what we've learned in the last ten minutes. Strangely, I'll predict it's those of us who really understand what all marketers Really REALLY want that will be truly successful. So? What to all marketers really REALLY want? Value. defined as: a way to engage in conversation with real people who may happen to be genuinely interested in my brand (product, cause, ideas) and might be interested in buying something from me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This Post