Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finding your voice- the Genre of You

I kinda recommend reading my 5 step plan to finally understand why you should care about Twitter

You don't have to read it right away, but I recommend reading it before you move on to other things, but keep in mind that this is experiential and you should allow yourself a little time both to understand Twitter and to begin exploring it. Most Twitterers are able to figure out most of this stuff on their own very quickly, but I figured this could be useful for the:

1. Twitterphobe : Someone who still hasn't figured out why they should even bother with Twitter.
2. Twannabe : Someone who is brand new to Twitter and still hasn't found their voice yet.
3. Twit : Someone who has been tweeting away without a voice.

What is your Twitter Voice? Perhaps thus far you've been purposely remaining silent. That's fine. Perhaps you will find your voice. Your voice is your On line persona. It's the "Genre of You." If you've been Tweeting and really haven't been paying too much attention to your voice- you may be either disappointing your followers or perhaps you are just not at your stride yet. In that case, you might as well consider Tweeting as the act of sending a Tweet to a Twit.

We're probably going to have to assume that like any other Media (yes I said Media) Success will soon become measured (remember I'm pretty into analysis) in the form of attention and the number of active followers. The Social Graph is becoming far more robust and the barrier for entry is LOWER than ever- but it won't be for long.

So what is your voice? Here's an experiment for you. In both scenarios, let's assume you DON'T know either of these two "microbloggers." Which one are you more likely to choose (follow)? Remember that you don't know either of them yet.

Tweeter 1.
Ran 4x400 intervals. 2:05, 2:10, 2:15, 2:15
Just updated from GWT 1.5 to 1.6

Went to the third day concert and broke out in a nuclear fusion discusion. We are such geeks!

At the third day concert at Busch Gardens. Wow it's loud! :)

Completed iMapMyFitness Jun 13, 2009 17:31 (Regular Run). 4.07 mi.. 00:53:52

Started a new bee hive. Woohoo!

Grilling my own oysters, yumm!

NMCI just crushed my workstation! Thanks guys!


Tweeter 2

@kw***** I'm a PC kinda guy... But I do use Firefox for most everything

RT @pt*****: [company] offers special discount for [Product]- deadline extended: http://bit.ly/17UHeL

I'm at [professional association]

RT @(hometown)_News: The 10 most influential people in (hometown): http://bit.ly/YzYlM

Here it comes... Are you ready.... Can't stop this one... ♫ url to song
End Tweet

No offense to the guy that only has one follower and is following two, but if you happen upon him, you're probably less like to care what he says as compared to the guy who has 150 followers.

So let's say some Twit has thousands of followers? Am I really go to care what they have to say? They'd better keep me interested. I'm getting really fast at scanning tweets and I can tell the Twit from the Tweeter really quickly.


If I have the distinct honor of having been your first exposure to Twitter, or if you happen to like MY voice, feel free to follow me at @click2dennis Otherwise, happy tweeting peeps... or rather tweeps. Read my next post on Separating Business from Pleasure in Social Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This Post